So, the guys at work laugh at me, because every morning guaranteed, I will wander up to the drinks machine and pop a coin in for a green and jasmine tea. Whilst they wander about with their coffees and hot chocolates at 8.20am, I cherish my Styrofoam cup filled with what looks like a hot version of someone’s dehydrated wee…So, to be fair, I can see why they stick their nose up at it. BUT, they’re totally missing out. Because firstly, it isn’t wee, so that’s one thing no one has to worry about. Secondly, it tastes half decent, so still is definitely not wee. But thirdly, and most importantly, it is ridiculously amazing for you. Now, I’m no expert, but as an avid drinker of green tea I know the wealth of its benefits, and I feel it’d be unfair not to share. So grab yourself a cuppa, and check this out!
- FAT BURNING AND ENERGISING-Green tea contains caffeine (albeit not as much as coffee, but enough to keep you awake and not bouncing off the walls) which is good for mobilising the fatty acids in the tissues. So the body can then use them as a means of energy and in turn increase physical performance. Also, green tea drinkers have been found to burn up to an extra 200 calories compared to non-tea drinkers, because it works at speeding up your metabolic rate. So, it keeps you looking trim and reduces feeling grim!
- BRAIN BUILDING- Because of said caffeine, it keeps you alert and able to improve brain function; such as with memory, concentration, vigilance and mood. But thanks to the friendly amino acid, L-theanine, which is also found in green tea, it is able to increase these positive effects. So, working in synergy with caffeine, it’s like it unlocks your brain’s full potential of awesome.
- HEALTHY-It is jam packed with antioxidants! These being those vital things to kick free radicals ass, and keep your bod in tip top condition. Because of this, it reduces any cellular damage, and premature aging. This leads me nicely to the next 3 points…
- BACTERIA KILLER (NICE BREATH) – There are these soldier-like compounds known as “catechins” found in the tea, which have been shown to mercilessly kill bacteria and stop viruses from entering your castle (by that I mean your body, and yes, I have been watching too much Game of Thrones). Either way, this means you’re less likely to get struck down by infections! Huzzah! Also, your dentist will love these catechins, because they annihilate the bacteria “streptococcus mutans”. This nasty likes to make plaque on your teeth, which can lead to tooth decay and cavities. But thanks to our compound trooper inhibiting this bacteria’s growth, we have improved dental health and super fresh breath. (I’d like to add that it’s helped me. I have no fillings, and my breath is pretty swish, unless I’ve eaten onions/garlic, so we just stay away from those too often…)
- REDUCES RISK OF DISEASES – Thanks to the antioxidants we mentioned earlier (the ones that kick free radicals butts, yeah?) it means that green tea is good at reducing the risk of disease. Such as certain cancers (which are caused by a mutation of cells, and free radical/oxidative damage contributes to cancer development).
- Also, catechins are very protective of neurons, which can reduce the likelihood of neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Green tea is also brilliant at improving insulin sensitivity and reducing blood sugar levels, which means the risk of developing type 2 diabetes is massively lowered.
- Lastly, it protects the ol’ ticker! That’s right, your love pump. I mean, heart. Anyway, it does this by protecting the LDL Cholesterol from oxidation, and lowering total cholesterol.Thus, the risk of getting certain cardiovascular diseases is diminished.
- INCREASES LIFE! – As if this wasn’t a giveaway after reeling off all of the previous benefits! But yes, because of it reducing obesity risks, heart issues, viral infections etc. it only makes sense that those who drink green tea are more likely to live to a ripe old age.
So, now can you tell me…does your coffee do all that? Thought not.